Wednesday, March 09, 2005

To interfere or not to interfere...that is the question

In my normal pell-mell fashion, I hiked out to an area Kohl's to find something to wear to my sister-in-law's baby shower this weekend. This is very typical for me. I'm not a recreational clothes shopper. I am decidedly NOT like my mother-in-law who has a huge walk-in closet (and a 5-bedroom house full of closets and a beach house full of closets) that is full of clothes. Many of those clothes have tags on them! That is astounding to me.

When I shop, it's typically because I need something and I likely need it for the next day. Not necessarily a good strategy seeing as how I'm 5'4" and my clothes invariably need altering because I'm too tall for Petites and too short for Misses.

Buuuutttt...I digress.

Whilst in the changing room trying on the various sweaters I was contemplating, I heard a young boy's voice say,
"Mom? I found some more t-shirts."

She replied, "Good."

A few minutes later, I heard,

"Mom? Are you almost done?"

And I have to add that this wasn't in the whiny voice that my 5-year old would have asked this question. It was very matter of fact and it almost sounded like he was trying to figure out if he should wait or continue shopping and come back.

His mother replied, sharply, "WHY DON'T YOU JUST LEAVE ME ALONE?!"

I audibly gasped.

I didn't say anything but continued trying on my clothes, dumbfounded.

When I was done, I exited the changing room and saw a young boy, maybe 11 years old. He had a sad face but sweet and he was waiting patiently at the exit to the dresssing room. I gave him the biggest, broadest smile I could muster.

Later, I passed the mom and son as she exited the dressing room. All I could hear was her barking orders at him to, "Take me to where you found this shirt!"

Should I have said something to the mom? Should I have given the boy a hug? Should I have said something to him?

I know we're all stressed and tired and wigged out as parents. Believe me, with three under 6, I get it! But she broke his little heart right there and she humiliated him publicly. There's no call for that.

I did resolve to try my darndest to never talk to my children EVER like she talked to him. And certainly to never, ever, do that to them in public. I'd rather that people believe that I'm a complete pushover when it comes to my kids and that they run me ragged than to humiliate them like that.

What about you? Would you have said something to her?

1 comment:

Dana said...

I would have had to truly bite my tongue. That breaks my heart. I am making a promise to both my children right now, on your blog, to never ever be so self absorbed about nothing. ugh.

Hi Jenny! Followed your post from my blog from the Ikea Fans site. I knew I would like you. I mean, you have taste!! And I with you on all your posts so far. Totally agree on everything. Hag parkers and cocktails appearing magically in hands on vacations. Not family get-aways.