So I get a call from a head hunter who had previously recruited me for a job with a tech company in Boston. This was in the fall and they were all "Hurry up and get up here. Have to meet you. Want to interview you." So I did.
And it was no small feat. I had just returned from maternity leave with no vacation days to my credit. B was going out of town. M was only 4 months old. I'd never left her overnight. So, my Dad drives from Connecticut to Pittsburgh to watch the kids. B goes out of town. I leave on the absolute last flight out of Pittsburgh to Boston. Get in around midnight after the Red Sox won their division championship. Pump with a pathetic breast pump in the hotel. Interview all day the next day (pumping in between interviews!) and then take a flight back. And then....nothing. That's right...nothing. Not even a "Thanks. We hired the other candidate." Nothing.
So, the head hunter calls because they have a position open that would report to the position for which I'd previously interviewed. In all fairness, the first position was kind of a stretch for me in terms of experience so I don't know that I'd feel weird about working for a woman with whom I competed for a job.
But here's the thing. Since I interviewed with that tech company I finagled a new work arrangement at my current job. I work 3 10-hour days and have two days off. And I like that. I like having two days to get all those nitpicky things done around the house that need doing. You know...laundry. Drycleaning. Grocery shopping. Cleaning. I don't know if making a whole lot more money is worth it.
In other news.
J makes me laugh.
J: "Mom, can I please watch Buzz Lightyear.
Me: "J! No. I'm sick to death of you sitting on your bum watching tv, or playing video games or playing computer games. You need to move around and play. No more tv!"
Cut to 5 hours later.
J: "Mom. Could we watch a Buzz after dinner?"
Me (exasperated): "J!"
J: "What? I'll stand up."
Me: "Huh?"
J: "You said you didn't want me sitting on my bum anymore"
Thursday, February 10, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
More money is not worth less time with your kids. :) Trust yourself on this one.
Post a Comment